Tuesday, August 16, 2011

It's Only Tuesday

As I was driving to work this morning at around 7am, I spotted a few people out for a leisurely morning stroll.  I have yet to understand how this is accomplished.  By 6:30 this morning I had already showered, made lunch for the kids and a list of important things to accomplish for the babysitter including, of course, a friendly reminder to have the kids pick up their underwear off the floor.  After quick goodbye kisses to my sleepy babies, at 7am I was off to work with a pit stop at WalMart for groceries.  There are some interesting individuals who roam the early morning aisles at WalMart, by the way.  Lots of little old ladies who probably need an updated vision screen to be behind the wheel. 

At the office by 8 am sharp.  Ok, more like 8:11, after cramming grocery bags on top of booster seats in the back of my car and peeling out of WalMart parking lot with rest of the little old ladies.  So I do Urgent Care because 1) I love urgent problems, 2) I dislike seeing patients repeatedly for the same issues that rarely resolve, 3) so I can clock in and clock out, theoretically leaving work behind me when I am at home with my kids.  No, it's not the most super exciting job in the world.  Yes, I always wanted to do a second residency in Emergency Medicine and work in an ED.  But after our cross country move to an easier life in Boise, Idaho, it will do just fine.  After 24 hour shifts as a hospitalist last year in New York, it's a welcome change of pace.  I do miss the challenge and excitement though.

Today, I had a moment of inspiration and used the string technique to remove a wedding ring from an edematous digit post-insect bite.  No ring cutters here, no sir.  I knew I had that dental floss in my purse for a good reason!  Who said a little ER background wouldn't come in handy! 

So, more coughs and colds to come, my energy is starting to wane.  Probably time for my afternoon caffeine infusion.  My solution to organized multitasking is writing out schedules any chance I can get in the hopes that I don't forget something.  I had no idea how complicated things could get when my girls reached school age and started doing their own activities.  In other words, when they started to complain about me signing them up for the same thing at the same time, because they are so close in age I could get away with it.  Back to school season is especially tricky, carefully plotting out driving arrangements juxtaposed with my work schedule.  School supplies to organize, playdates to arrange, and already plans for vacation time need to be considered.  And, it's only Tuesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment